Thursday, May 27, 2010

Ceci n'est pas histoire de l'art.



Finally I had the chance to employ my academic major for work today! Until this point I had been unable to capitalize on my academic specialization. Most days it feels like I’m retaining a fairly useless (but very expensive) amount of information.

While Art History rarely proves to be useful on a daily basis – Anthropology on the other hand has served to make me hyper conscious of every cultural difference that I encounter on a daily basis..

Well finally I found a way to incorporate my first true love, Art History, into my daily life as well. One of my more advanced students is an art enthusiast. I knew immediately that we were kindred spirits when I saw the Matisse posters displayed in his office, but when he told me that his favorite artist was 20th century concrete surrealist master Rene Magritte…well, that’s when I really got excited.

So today I taught a class on a subject which I have taken many a class. And yes, I obviously had to concentrate more on the phrasal verbs and passive voice of the article, than the philosophical themes of Magritte’s always surprising imagery….but all in all, a very satisfying class for the teacher (and teacher hopes, the student).

I’m sure Magritte, who’s paintings make many statements about the role of language and its many deficiencies, would have approved.

Here is the article in case you really have nothing better to do:

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/M/magritte.html

No comments:

Post a Comment